Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Springing into Spring

This is the reason I haven't had much time to blog this week - 78 baby chicks.  At On The Wind Farm we raise hens for eggs to sell at the farmers' market.  And of course I do everything the hard way.  No GMO feed for these babys.  I mix all my own feed with grains, seeds, sprouts, hard boiled eggs, dried nettles and other greens as they make their appearance in the garden, chopped earthworms, yum yum, and some scraps of venison frozen for just this purpose.  Chicks need lots of good nutrition and protein to develop properly.  So my days are taken up with mixing and measuring and chopping and grinding and digging and changing waterers, and just hanging out watching the show.  Chicks are so curious, and just like people, they all have their own personalities.  Some are very bold, some are shy, some are cuddly, some are stand-offish.  Some seem very smart (for a chicken, that is), and some haven't a clue.

So my artwork has taken a back seat for a time, though I still manage to do a bit on "The Forgotten Garden" each day, and will post my progress soon.  No color yet, just penciling in some shading.  Meanwhile, lots of fun things are always going on at the Fantasy Artists of Etsy blog, so blog hop your way over there and view the lovely items on display! http://faeteam.blogspot.com/

Till soon,
Heidi

No comments: