Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Pandora


 I'm writing this article after much soul searching and inner dialog.  Is it best to lie low during a raging debate, not adding fuel to the fire, letting others do the talking?  This is by far the easiest and safest path.  Or is it better to speak out, drawing attention to oneself and risking discord with acquaintances, friends and even family members?  Those who go against the mainstream usually face ridicule, scorn, anger, censorship, sometimes even loss of life.  But where would we be if no one ever voiced differing opinions?  I admire courageous people.  So I'm sharing my thoughts and feelings here, hoping they might cast a small flicker of light into a dark and stormy topic. 

I didn't take the Corona virus vaccine, nor do I intend to.  Whether to get vaccinated or not is a deeply personal issue, and I would never question another's choice.  But I feel compelled to share the reasoning behind my own decision, as I don't like being called a selfish, ignorant idiot, or worse, a murderer.

First and foremost, I know my own body better than anyone else.  I'm in charge of my own health.  My decisions are consistent with my chosen spiritual path, lifestyle and beliefs.  

I've spent my adult life studying herbal medicine and natural healing.  I have an arsenal of potent herb tinctures, some from my own herbs, and I know how to use them.  I have always used them and have great faith in their healing powers.

Second, we're being told to follow the science.  So I have been.  I've been watching old Jack Benny shows which include the commercials.  One ad stated that doctors recommend menthol cigarettes for college students because they soothe the throat.  Hmmm.  We were told that DDT was safe, and that opioids were not addictive.  We were led to believe that scientific methods of farming (chemical fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides and GMO crops, factory farms and feedlots) would save the world from hunger.  Hmmm.  Scientific facts change over time.  The same test can yield different results, depending on who funds the research and what the agenda of the researchers is.  And sometimes it takes five or more years to learn long term effects of a new drug or treatment.  I'm not ready to trust the unknown when history has proven science wrong time and again, and when many highly intelligent voices are raising concerns.  One of the most troubling issues in the vaccine debate to me is the total suppression of these voices.  I've listened to researchers, scientists, physicians, virologists and immunologists with impressive credentials who have much valuable input.  Why can there not be round table discussions with differing opinions?  Why are those who disagree with the establishment viciously attacked, suppressed, discredited and threatened?  How can people make intelligent decisions without hearing all sides?  Are we not supposed to think for ourselves?

Yes, I know, it's easier just to believe in the mainstream, get the shot and get on with your life.  But ignoring questions doesn't make them go away.  Our future depends on the choices we make every day.  I have no children in school, no elderly relatives living with me.  I stay home and am happy to do so.  I wear a mask and avoid crowds when I go out.  I'm not afraid of the virus.  I'm not afraid of death.  But I have concerns for children and the future of humanity.  How do repeated vaccinations and booster shots of this entirely new vaccine affect immune systems?  How do they affect the virus?  We're already seeing more and more breakthrough cases.  Does this mean there will be more infectious variants as it learns how to evade the vaccine, just as bacteria have developed immunity to antibiotics, insects to pesticides, weeds to herbicides?  Are we comfortable with the ever increasing need for stronger and stronger drugs, chemicals and poisons to try and keep ourselves "safe" in the short term, ignoring the terrible toll it is taking on us and our planet?

Finally, I wonder as I always do, why there is not a greater focus on the importance of  healthy lifestyle in preventing or minimizing disease.  We all must take responsibility for our own health.  This may or may not mean getting a vaccine, but it also means taking part in open discussions without name calling, making healthier, more informed decisions about what we eat and how we live, and treating our planet and each other with reverence befitting the precious miracle of life.  


No comments: