Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Some Notes on Fermentation


Here are a few good books on fermenting:


Making Sauerkraut and pickled vegetables at home, by Klaus Kaufmann and Annelies Schoneck


Wild Fermentation, by Sandor Ellix Katz


Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon. This one is a veritable encyclopedia of recipes of all kinds, prepared in the way our ancestors often prepared their foods, by soaking, sprouting, fermenting, culturing. The many quotes in this book from doctors, researchers and studies will challenge the way you think about diet.


My latest batch of kraut is bubbling away in a small room that's been staying at 62 degrees, right where I want it. I said in my recipe to leave about 1" space at the top of the jar, but this last batch is fermenting so vigorously I would suggest you leave 2 or 3 inches, and be sure to put newspapers or a towel under the jars in case they leak.


I am also trying turnips, called sauerruben, and will soon try daikons. Later, if my chinese wong bok cabbage heads up, I'll make kimchee, or something like it. Fermenting is a reliable, easy way to preserve food. Once you understand the basics, you can experiment to the hilt. And the results will provide you with some of the most nutritious foods available, filled with enzymes, probiotics, vitamins and minerals, to say nothing of taste!

No comments: